Recently I developed a python web app deployed on Google App Engine. Its an app to facilitate the Peer Review Process for organizations. You can view the app at http://peer-review-process.appspot.com/ .
Below are my comments about the GAE platform as a PHP developer.
- Basically its much easier to adopt for PHP developers. All the code level and application level flexibility I enjoy in PHP is also available in Python.
- User Management becomes secure without any extra effort.
- GAE provides a very good templating engine which is very familiar for PHP developers.
- Lesser hassle for database related work. No DAO layer is required as data is always retrieved as native objects. Although the GQL Query is less flexible but the methods available are very intuitive to learn.
- Unlike PHP, Python has Cross-Request variables preventing certain limitations in app development process (Be careful when adding static variables to classes. These variables are shared across multiple requests)